This wiki is a repository for information useful to staff in CS; it is a community resource, please feel free to contribute.
Pages available on the CS Staff wiki include. You may also find General CS wiki for both staff and students of interest.
The COVID-19 outbreak raises a lot questions, and a lot of informatrion is scattered around many emails. While this is unavoidable due to the fast-moving nature of things, we try to gather information here.
- Online Teaching a page with useful information about resources that can be used to support online delivery, and here is a COVID-19 FAQ for our students.
- There's an FAQ page for PGR students and supervisors and some Coronavirus PGR Supervisors Guidance.
- Zoom meeting Kilburn Common Room (Virtual) a daily, virtual meeting open to all Kilburn staff 12:30-13:00 to drop in, say hello, share your experience, and ask questions.
- There is HSE guidance on working from home and StaffNet guidance on Wellbeing support during the coronavirus crisis, plus a nice summary FAQ page.
- Semester 2 Exams. Our students will not be taking summative assessments. It is likely that we will provide formative exam papers to allow the students to test their understanding of the materials. Further guidance on this is expected shortly. In the meantime, we are pausing the process of producing exam papers.
- Expenses Claims and GTA timesheets
- Procurement procedure - 16/04/20. Sent on behalf of Alice Larkin and Sarah Mulholland
Please find below detail relating to the procurement process to facilitate approval whilst we are in the period of remote working. In line with the current Procurement policy and procedure, only essential services and supplies can be purchased until further notice. All requests must receive approval prior to a request being made on the financial system.
Procedure, guidelines and required paperwork can be found here: 
You will need to provide the following with your request:
• Detail of the procurement request: item and value
• Justification of why it is essential and required now
• Detail on the source of funding to pay for the item, not just the account code – details on the project and funder (if applicable) including any limitations on the funding, i.e. it has to be spent by a certain date • Consequence of delaying the purchase
Process to follow; Requests for procurement must be sent to Deputy School Operations Manager (DSOM) Michelle Fox who will discuss with HoD Robert Stevens and will make request to the School.
All requests will be considered by the HoS. If approved at School level, the request will be considered by Alice Larkin, Chris Hardacre, Rachel Brealey and Martin Schroder.
If you have any queries to the above please contact your DSOM, Michelle Fox [Michelle.Foxemail@example.com]
- Would you like to volunteer and have special health/social care skills? There's guidance on this.
- REF 2020
- Green Impact Team
- Research Ethics FAQ
- Research Impact Resources (Under Construction)
- Promotion Process and Documentation for academic staff, incl. Reward for Exceptional Performance for all staff
- Probation Process and Documentation for academic staff
- Performance & development reviews for academic and research Staff
- Induction for new staff
- Meeting Etiquette for all staff
- Room Allocation Policy for all staff
- Buying Computers for all staff
- Parental Leave and Flexible Working for all staff
- Travelling including Risk Assessment and Export Control
- Academic Visitors of staff and students visiting from other institutions
Boiler-Plate Text Snippets
- Information Systems Officer Role
- GitLab Student Project Manager
- IT related information for staff
- CS Systems - various systems maintained around the school
- General LaTeX Staff FAQ
- Open source software
- Oracle migration - planning migrating the Oracle database from aardvark.
- Xilinx Zynq
- Support Portal CS - working document to gather generic headings which CS require in the Support Portal
- Wednesday Waggle - some technical notes on waggle.cs.manchester.ac.uk
- Ordering Computers for PGRs
- Undergraduate Examining Rules ( Previous Version ) (Updated 7/4/20)
- Application of Mitigating Circumstances at UG (Updated 28/6/19)
- FAQ on Academic Malpractice (UG)
- Expectations as Course Unit Leader
- COMP23311:Software Engineering Course Team Information
- Placing teaching materials on studentnet
- Timetable general info
Admissions and recruitment
Here is information for PGR Programmes (in case I'm in a Train Wreck):
- PGR Handbook (Full)
- Expectations of the Student (Handbook)
- Expectations of the Supervisor (Handbook)
- PGR Home (CS Staffnet)
- Regulations & Policies (MDC)
- Code of Practice (MDC)
- PGR Student Index (eProg)
- PGRs For New Staff
- Viva Expenses
- Welcome Week
- Research Training Support Grants
- Ordering Computers for PGRs
- EPSRC Vacation Bursaries (Internships)
- Internships & Placements
- EngD FAQ
- SCS Common Room Ideas - Comments & Suggestions
- SCS Courtyard - Comments & Suggestions
- Out of hours document - staff-only version for proposing updates
- Information for staff about 2013 IT changes (now superseded by the IT FAQ page above)
- Timetable changes 2014/15
- Timetable changes 2015/16
- Timetable changes 2016/17
- MATH timetable
- HCI Programme