This wiki is a repository for information useful to staff in CS; it is a community resource, please feel free to contribute.
Pages available on the CS Staff wiki include. You may also find General CS wiki for both staff and students of interest.
- Induction for new staff
- Building Access (for Kilburn and IT Buildings) for all staff
- Performance & development reviews for academic and research Staff
- Probation Process and Documentation for academic staff
- Promotion Process and Documentation for academic staff, incl. Reward for Exceptional Performance for all staff
- Estates, environment, etc. who to contact around estates, infrastructure, computing, etc. with links for submitting issues
- Expenses Claims, explaining claims process, GTA timesheets
- Procurement, explaining procurement of things (incl. furniture)
- Buying Computers and other IT equipment, for all staff and students
- Travelling including Risk Assessment and Export Control
- Room Allocation Policy for all staff with links to Room Allocation Database
- Academic and teaching Events and timeline of a typical year
- Health and Safety Policy
- Meeting Etiquette for all staff
- Parental Leave and Flexible Working for all staff
- Academic Visitors of staff and students visiting from other institutions
- Display Screen Equipment for all staff & PHD students - Guidance: user guidance - setting up your workstation - If you would like to take the online assessment and request support then please take the test here: DSE Assessment for all staff & PHD students
- Research Resources
- Research Impact Resources (Under Construction)
- Research Ethics FAQ
- REF 2020
- Green Impact Team
- Travel Update
- Outreach and Public Engagement
Boiler-Plate Text Snippets
- Technical Apprenticeship Scheme
- Information Systems Officer Role
- GitLab Student Project Manager
- Social media use of social media in Computer Science
- IT related information for staff including how to print
- CS Systems - various systems maintained around the school
- General LaTeX Staff FAQ
- Open source software
- Oracle migration - planning migrating the Oracle database from aardvark.
- Xilinx Zynq
- Wednesday Waggle - some technical notes on waggle.cs.manchester.ac.uk
- Teams: how to set up the Teams PWA on Linux
- Examination Guidance
- Electronic Exams
- Academic Advising
- Completing a Unit Specification and Planning a New Course Unit
- Blended Learning Guidance
- Programme Amendment
- Expectations as Course Unit Leader
- Guidance on Coursework
- Assignment Naming Scheme
- Preparing for Teaching 2021-22
- Undergraduate Examining Rules ( Previous Version ) (Updated 7/4/20)
- Application of Mitigating Circumstances at UG (Updated 16/6/23)
- FAQ on Academic Malpractice (UG)
- COMP23311:Software Engineering Course Team Information
- COMP28112:Distributed Systems
- Placing teaching materials on studentnet
- Timetable general info
- Expectations as a Personal Tutor
- Expectations as a 3rd Year Project Supervisor
- Expectations as a Lab and Examples Class Supervisor
Admissions and recruitment
- UG Open days
- UG Visit days
- UG Virtual visit days
- Reading list for prospective students
Here is information for PGR Programmes (in case I'm in a Train Wreck):
- PGR Handbook (Full)
- PGR Home (CS Staffnet)
- Regulations & Policies (MDC)
- Code of Practice (MDC)
- PGR Student Index (eProg)
- PGRs For New Staff
- Viva Expenses
- Research Training Support Grants
- Ordering Computers for PGRs
- EPSRC Vacation Bursaries (Internships)
- Internships & Placements
- The PGR Admissions process
- Recruitment processes.
- Departmental Meetings
- COVID-19 FAQ for our students.
- Blended_Learning_in_AY20-21 a collection of resources relating to the development of blended learning.
- Online Teaching this page has useful information about our "emergency" moves to support online delivery.
- SCS Common Room Ideas - Comments & Suggestions
- SCS Courtyard - Comments & Suggestions
- Out of hours document - staff-only version for proposing updates
- Information for staff about 2013 IT changes (now superseded by the IT FAQ page above)
- Timetable changes 2014/15
- Timetable changes 2015/16
- Timetable changes 2016/17
- MATH timetable
- HCI Programme
The COVID-19 outbreak has raised a lot questions, and a lot of information is scattered around many emails. While this is unavoidable due to the fast-moving nature of things, we try to gather information here.
- Return to campus and current guidance on working on campus.
- There's an FAQ page for PGR students and supervisors and some Coronavirus PGR Supervisors Guidance.
- A university summary page with teaching related policy guidance and the university's Institute of Teaching and Learning
- Working from home
- HR has published a staff FAQ and a Guide to HR Operations.
- Would you like to volunteer and have special health/social care skills? There's guidance on this.